WISCONSIN ALLIANCE FOR COMPOSERS
2017 Student Composition Contest and Festival
The Wisconsin Alliance for Composers (WAC) is accepting submissions for its 2017 Student Composition Contest. Prizes will include cash awards and a performance by professional and/or university musicians at the Wisconsin Alliance for Composers New Music Festival at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh on February 25, 2017.
Applicants will submit to one of three categories:
Elementary/Middle School (grades K-8)
High School (grades 9-12)
- Applicants must be students studying full time in Wisconsin.
- Submitted compositions must be original works for 1-6 instruments with or without electronics. Purely electronic compositions incorporating no live instruments are permitted.
- Works under 10 minutes in duration are preferred.
- The winning composition in each category will receive a cash award (Elementary/Middle School $50, High School $75, and undergraduate $100) and a performance at the Wisconsin Alliance for Composers New Music Festival at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh on February 25, 2017 by professional and/or university musicians.
- Several honorable mention compositions will also receive a performance at the Wisconsin Alliance for Composers New Music Festival at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh on February 25, 2017 by professional and/or university musicians.
- All winners and honorable mentions will receive a recording of the performance.
Click here for a PDF of the announcement.
Click here for an application form.
- All submission materials will only be accepted in an email to John Mayrose (email@example.com)
- Each applicant may submit only one composition.
- Submit an application form.
- Submit one legible, anonymous score as a PDF. If the composition is purely electronic, then a score is not required. The only identifying information on the score should be the title. Do not include the name of the student or teacher on the score.
- mp3 recordings are encouraged by not required. (MIDI realizations are acceptable)
- A composition that makes use of a copyrighted text must be accompanied by a written statement from the copyright holder giving permission to use the text. If the text is in the public domain, a statement signed by the student and teacher indicating this fact must accompany the entry.
- Submissions must be received by Monday, November 21, 2016.
- Composers of works selected for performance agree to attend the Wisconsin Alliance for Composers New Music Festival at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh on February 25, 2017.
- All judge decisions are final. Judges may elect to award no prizes.
- Please email John Mayrose (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
For the Call for Scores for professional composers click here.
WAC is a non-profit, tax-exempt Wisconsin corporation founded in 1984 to encourage and support the composition and performance of new music by Wisconsin composers.